Off-odours are a common issue for pharmaceutical manufacturers
Whether it’s a medical complaint that causes odour, such as halitosis, or the sensory properties of a new drug that needs to be made more appealing to patients, odour is one of the key parameters in the pharmaceutical industry.
Olfasense offers a highly effective combination of human-sensory and analytical methodologies for pharmaceutical odour testing. Our individually designed tests will swiftly evaluate the odour performance of your particular pharmaceutical product – anything from tablet coatings to medicine packaging.
We can also give you invaluable information about your specific area of interest or concern – including shelf-life, benchmark comparison, placebo development, quality assurance, and much more.
Our range of odour testing services includes:
- testing the off-odour masking performance of a drug coating, encapsulation or similar
- assessing the efficiency of different quantities of coating or similar in masking the off-odours of medicines
- testing the performance of pharmaceutical products in reducing certain smells, such as odours caused by halitosis
- evaluating odour intensity, hedonic tone and acceptability, as well as odour characterisation
- quantifying odour development over time (for example, during shelf-life, and after opening the packaging)
- identifying those compounds causing an off-odour in the medicine
- comparison of the odour of brand and generic products, and benchmark comparison
- optimisation of odour-matching placebo development for clinical trials
- odour evaluation of pharmaceutical packaging.