Job posting: GC-Sniffing chemist
Olfasense is an internationally leading specialist odour consultancy, assisting industry to assess and solve environmental odour problems and to evaluate commercial products using sensory analysis techniques.
To complement our service portfolio, Olfasense intends to build up and profitably operate an own GC-Sniffing laboratory at our facilities in Kiel, Germany.
Olfasense is therefore recruiting a GC-Sniffing chemist to join our company on a permanent basis.
In that role, you will be involved in the establishment and development of the laboratory right from the beginning. After the start-up phase, you will have the overall responsibility for performing analysis on air and material samples using molecular methods, including mainly GC-Sniffing, GC-MS and GC-IMS.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Writing research summaries, reports, and reviews
- Analytical method development, validation and implementation
- Undertaking calibration and maintenance of equipment; interacting with suppliers when needed
- Performing QA/QC tasks and implementing laboratory innovations
- Familiar with international accreditation requirements
- Educate sniffers for GC-Sniffing test method
- Educate technical junior staff to carry out laboratory duties
- Comfortable with a combined technical and sales role, within our team:
- Identify customer needs and how the capabilities of Olfasense can provide solutions to the client.
- Assist existing staff involved in molecular odour testing in identifying and accessing new clients, and in setting up sales strategies
- Attending conferences and exhibitions
- Working closely with our service innovation and development team, to establish new testing capabilities
In order to be considered for this role, you will be required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Willingness to relocate to Kiel, Germany, and to travel occasionally worldwide as needed
- PhD in chemistry or a related subject
- Minimum of 5+ years related hands-on experience carrying out analysis using molecular methods, especially GC-Sniffing, but also GC-MS and GC-IMS
- Experience in educating sniffers for GC-Sniffing test method
- Experience in lab management, including installation, operation, routine maintenance and troubleshooting on analytical laboratory instruments
- Experience in an international working environment
- Good olfactive skills
- Fluent in use of computer programs in a lab setting, e g. Excel, etc.
- Ability to communicate data and test results to both technical and non-technical audiences through both oral and written reports
- Experience in developing, validating, and implementing new analytical test methods
- Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English are a must. Additional language skills are valued.
- Strong organizational capabilities, with a focused and passionate attitude. Able to work as a team player, but also to act autonomously.
What we offer:
- You can significantly contribute to the international growth and success of our company, which is recognised as a key international player in its field of expertise.
- You will join a unique team with an international and cross-sectorial level of excellence that stands out for their friendliness, passion, creativity, innovative spirit, and professionalism.
- You will be supported by experienced consultants from Olfasense and will have access to the accumulated knowledge of the company developed over 30 years as specialist odour consultants.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com (Maria Liczkowski, Head of Marketing).