Product optimisation and material testing
Do your products have the smell of success? Our odour analysis services can tell you!
We can assess how your product is perceived by consumers in terms of odour, using trained or naive sensory panels, depending on your desired test set-up and related questions. Perceptions, of course, are hard to quantify or explain, but we use molecular odour analysis to find the reasons behind them.
Better still, we’ve got some great ideas about optimising product performance, supporting quality control, and to scientifically substantiate product claims. So, whatever sensory or molecular odour aspects you want to test, we can give you the answers!
The process behind a successful odour study
Product optimisation and material testing have almost endless possibilities and we’ll make sure to create an odour study that will provide relevant, valuable information for you.
- Your questions in the centre of our concern
- The appropriate techniques for your individual question
- Combining individualised sampling …
- … with standardised measurement
- Working with the best noses in the business
Odour studies that provide relevant, valuable answers for you
All our sensory or molecular odour tests help to answer certain questions, such as:
- How is the odour of my product perceived?
- Is there an odour problem?
- How does my product perform over time?
- Does my product enhance odour perception?
- Does my product reduce or mask malodour?
- How does my product perform in a benchmark test?
- How can I prove that my product works?
From odour data to odour knowledge
Once we know what questions you need answered, we can identify the most appropriate techniques, which include:
- odour and aroma profiling
- off-odour identification
- efficacy testing
- cross-tests of product variants
- longevity testing of fragrances
- assessment of masking quality
- calculation of odour reduction rate
- odour related claim support
- bespoke test designs
- real location tests
- molecular screening
- in vitro and in vivo studies
- and many more approaches
The right sampling method based on your requirements
Olfasense ensures best possible analysis results by combining standardised measurement – for traceable and reproducible results – with individualised sampling to achieve conditions that are as ‘real’ as possible and tailor-made to the product or material to be tested.
Our advanced sampling infrastructure includes:
- certified nalophan gas sample bags
- standard chambers with and without air flow
- CLIMPAQ (Chamber for Laboratory Investigations of Materials, Pollution and Air Quality) climate chambers
- the Olfasense Scent Sampler to take standardized samples directly from the skin and other surfaces
- a twin room facility, to explore indoor behaviours of products and for comparative testing of products
- the Olfasense LiGaVa system, to vaporise any kind of liquid into the gas phase in order to understand the vapour phase's perception and
- sampling devices, test benches and hygiene boxes
Your one-stop provider for odour testing
The processes, methods and target parameters of our odour analysis are diverse, and include human sensory but also molecular approaches:
- accredited odour concentration analysis (ouE/m3) according to EN 13725, the European Standard for Olfactometry
- accredited odour evaluation of materials of the automotive interior according to VDA 270
- hedonic tone and odour intensity measurement according to VDI 3882
- perceived odour intensity Π (pi) measurement according to ISO 16000- 28
- odour character and acceptance measurement
- odour quality determinations
- odour threshold determination of pure substances and odour mixtures
- high-resolution GCMS/TOF to measure compounds in the sub-ppt range
- GC-Sniffing (chemical separation is combined with a sniffing port to identify specific aroma components)
- GC-IMS (an innovative, quick, direct headspace technology, which allows the detection of various substances within a few minutes)
Relying on well-trained human assessors
Odour measurement requires the human nose as tester. This means that one of the biggest challenges is getting valid test results with high repeatability.
And the solution?
The accurate selection, training and monitoring of the noses in question! Our high-quality odour laboratories are accredited according to EN ISO/IEC 17025 and all our odour panellists are selected and trained to meet the stringent requirements of odour analyses.
Whatever we do, we’ll make sure you get the best possible analysis quality.
We have more to offer
We routinely assist our clients with a number of our services to supplement any of our odour studies.
Do your products have the smell of success?
You want to highlight a unique or particular olfactory property of your product and have this confirmed by an independent body?
Benefit from the Olfasense quality seal with combined permanent quality assurance process.
Specialist odour training in product and material testing
If you need to be on top form in any aspect of odour assessment and control, you’ll want Olfasense’s specialist expertise at your fingertips.
By investing in one of our bespoke odour training courses, you’ll not only have the opportunity to learn from the experts, but you’ll also get invaluable, tailored advice.
With a range of group and individual packages, we offer specialist training that really delivers.
We also organize regular odour workshops. To find out more, please visit www.olfasense-workshop.com.
Our customised studies help you get to know your consumers
Don’t expect your consumers to think like product developers.
That is why our consumer studies can be an essential cornerstone of product development. Not sure how your panel group should be composed?
We can offer advice on that too. With plenty of experience in setting up sociodemographic panels, we can organise them to meet specific criteria.
Depending on the product and test design, panel groups can be run in:
- domestic settings
- studio design
- hospitals and nursing homes
- schools and universities
Raw data is the key to engaging with your consumers
Whatever your business and odour analysis needs, and whoever your consumers, you can benefit from Olfasense’s experience in communication and statistical evaluation.
Olfasense uses a range of methods to bring you closer to your consumer and help you optimise the odour characteristics of your product or material.
From group discussions to in-use tests, each data collection method offers certain advantages.
Consumer studies via mobile phones
Text message voting uses streamlined, web-based technology that lets you engage participants anywhere, in real time.
So, if you want to ask lots of people the same questions, and receive the responses in a statistically useable form, the Olfasense Text Message Voting Tool is an ideal solution.
It’s economical, provides almost instantaneous results, and is incredibly easy to set up and operate, and easily adapted to your needs.
Learn more on our our product page: Olfasense Text Message Voting Tool